Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rube Goldberg, You Rock My World

I hadn't heard of Rube Goldberg before last week, when the boys started a class at our library called Simple Machines. But evidently, Mr. Goldberg is the guy who first combined pulleys, levers, fulcrums, wheels, ramps and balls into those funny machines that do something - smash an egg, drop ping-pong balls on your head, that kind of thing.

Part of our homework this week was to look up Rube Goldberg machines on YouTube, so I thought I'd share some of our favorites.

Here is one called 'Creme that Egg:'



OK Go's newest, This Too Shall Pass:




This one knocks down a whole bunch of bowling pins, in somebody's workplace:



They are fun, and silly, and require a lot more thought than, well, you might think. When Luke and Owen have made their Rube Goldberg machines, I'll post about them.

6 comments:

shannon said...

Those are so cool! Thanks for sharing.

Rana said...

The first one was awesome. My husband showed me and the kids the second one before.

These remind me of a library book we read back in the fall. I wish I could remember the name of it. It's about a little boy who has to go to bed, but he get's to stay up later because he sets up a contraption like this to turn off his bedroom light. It's starts down in the basement and works his way up to his bedroom. Each page shows the pulleys and levers working. I'll have to see if I can find the name of that book. Your boys would love it.

Firefly Mom said...

Cody used to have a computer game (Incredible Machines ?) where you built Rube Goldberg machines. He used to spend HOURS on it!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the videos. For some reason simple machines scare me and we haven't learned anything about them. Probably because I do not have a mechanical bone in my body. I think I will wait for General or Physical Science for Grace to learn about it through the help of someone else of course. lol.
Blessings
Diane
Diane

jugglingpaynes said...

I can't believe you didn't know about the wonderful world of Rube Goldberg! Aren't they wonderful? My older two have tried to make them from time to time. Guess we need to introduce them to Sierra now!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Angela said...

checking in from the Carnival ...

What a great collection of Rube Goldberg machines! Can't wait to share them with the kids tomorrow. Thanks.