Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Non-Theistic Spiritualism...

is the 'religion' to which I subscribe, and here is how I know:



Tonight, while on my way out, I saw the most incredible rainbow. I smiled goofily at it, and said out loud, "Oh, thank you!" - and then wondered, who am I thanking for this rainbow? I'm still not sure.



Later, while on my way home, I was treated to an amazing moon high on one side of the sky, and the final embers of a dramatic sunset on the other. And these words floated up into my mind: Everything's going to be okay.



I don't believe in God, at least not the same God that so many of my loved ones, friends and family, believe in. And I know I'm not a Pagan, or a Wiccan, or a Buddhist, or a Muslim, or any other official religion - believe me, I've tried to find one for myself and haven't succeeded. (I think what finally spoiled my chances was reading Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel, and its' sequel, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed, two books which made it hard not to think that this has all been tried before... but probably that's a post for another day.)



Yet I feel something, some indefinable gratitude, happiness, contentedness with my life, my husband and children, rainbows and sunsets. Maybe 'non-theistic spiritualism' is really equivalent to 'lucky;' that'll have to be good enough for now.



No comments: