Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sick Kid


So far so good with Owen, keeping his brother company here in this picture. But Luke spent the weekend really sick, first with throwing up which started, of course, at 3:30 am - at Grandma's house. Because, what's the point in getting sick during the day, in the comfort of your own home?


He then proceeded to barf a few more times at Grandma's and, once we hastily made the trip home, got the high fever that seems to follow every stomach bug around this winter.


But the thing is, he is so cute when he's sick! After his second round of throwing up, he happily announced "I just threw up - where are my clothes? I'm ready to get dressed."


At home later, curled up on the couch looking pale and sickly, eating white rice and drinking tea with honey and lemon, Luke read out questions from the Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit game (that I recently snagged, brand new for $3 from Goodwill!) and, although he's never seen the movies or read the books, he took a stab at answering them, too.



I've been reminded these past few days of the winter two years ago when he needed surgery, major enough to require a short stay at the hospital. Hours out of the OR, Luke was wide awake and very interested in his surroundings. He loved all the attention, and each time a doctor, nurse, or aide would ask how he was, my 5 year-old son would reply, very seriously but somehow cheerfully too, "Well, this is the first time I've ever been hospitalized."



I can't help but wonder if his happiness while sick is partly because of the one-on-one time we make for him. Rare is the normal day, even in our homeschooled family, that we sit together and ask each other trivia questions just to while away the hours.

In my heart of hearts, I must have recognized this lack as I planned out the week's homeschool checklist: it's full of games, like Monopoly and Master Mind. This way, even once Luke feels better, we can still do stuff together just to while away the hours.

No comments: