Monday, March 24, 2008

Blood Glucose

When I was pregnant with Owen, I was tested for gestational diabetes. Fortunately, I didn't have it and avoided the strict diet regimen that goes along with it - but the baby doc told me that, having come so close during pregnancy, there's a good chance that I would develop type 2 diabetes later in life. Which there was already a good chance of because my dad is a type 2 diabetic.



Well, tonight is the night that I find out if "later in life" is now - when, as my mom so kindly pointed out, I'm "pushing 40." (Thanks, Mom.) My primary care doctor loaned me a glucose test kit and told me to test myself, eat a chocolate donut, test myself again after eating it and then again after another hour. (This came about, incidentally, because a few weeks ago I ate a chocolate donut and afterwards felt, apparently, the symptoms of a precipitous drop in blood sugar which would come after an extreme surge of blood sugar, so my doc thought a repeat was warranted.)



So far, I've done the first test, eaten the donut, and tested once again; my blood sugar rose by about 25 points between the tests, but I have no idea what that means.



It's weird, parked in the middle of a test like this, waiting to see if my life will change significantly or go on the way it is; certainly there are worse things than type 2 diabetes, but I sure would like to avoid the daily meds and finger pricking if possible.



I'll talk to the doc tomorrow, and find out what my numbers mean. Wish me luck!



3/25/08 I tested okay! My numbers are all within normal range, thank goodness. So, for now anyway, life will go on as it is... phew.

No comments: