Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Field Trip!

We took our first "real" field trip as homeschoolers today, to a nature sanctuary nearby. We had an excellent time, not only because of the program but because of the people! As a group, homeschoolers are friendly, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic, and that sure was the case today.



Here are some (many, actually) pictures from our day:





Scooping up pond stuff... everyone got a turn, and there were some really neat life forms in there!



Like these...





And these...





And these.





Hard to see, but the long, stick-like thing in the lower left is not just another pretty stick. It is, in fact, a hollow stick with a little bug larva inside. And when s/he explored this new environment, the hollow stick came along for the ride! It was the cutest thing, like a hermit crab.



Next, a few more pond pictures:











Even the youngest member of our group enjoyed himself!





Yes, that there is "I hate writing" Luke, holding a sketchbook - in which he drew actual pictures of what he saw! More than one! And, it was all him; my only involvement was to mention that we were asked to pack a sketchbook. If that's not homeschool magic, I don't know what is.





I can't overstate the fascination these kids had with the pond life portion of our day.



Then, onto lunch, where we got to check out a half-taxidermied wood duck up close:





And watch as a butterfly was released into the wild.





Then on our afternoon trail tour, we saw some really neat, tall trees:





An ash (up there), and a hickory (down here):





And check out the bark on the hickory tree!





Here's Owen, wondering, who lives here?





Maybe this guy?



3 comments:

Amygee said...

Great pictures! Cooper can't stop talking about his new friends!

EverythingIveGot said...

Oh yay!! Would it be ok if I lifted some of your pictures for my blog (my camera battery was dead :-( ) or linked to your blog??

Karen said...

If you know how, you can certainly link to my blog... in fact, maybe you could teach me, or show me where I can figure it out?
Yesterday was so much fun!
K
P.S.High Fidelity is one of my favorite movies, too!