Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Field Trip!

We took our first "real" field trip as homeschoolers today, to a nature sanctuary nearby. We had an excellent time, not only because of the program but because of the people! As a group, homeschoolers are friendly, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic, and that sure was the case today.



Here are some (many, actually) pictures from our day:





Scooping up pond stuff... everyone got a turn, and there were some really neat life forms in there!



Like these...





And these...





And these.





Hard to see, but the long, stick-like thing in the lower left is not just another pretty stick. It is, in fact, a hollow stick with a little bug larva inside. And when s/he explored this new environment, the hollow stick came along for the ride! It was the cutest thing, like a hermit crab.



Next, a few more pond pictures:











Even the youngest member of our group enjoyed himself!





Yes, that there is "I hate writing" Luke, holding a sketchbook - in which he drew actual pictures of what he saw! More than one! And, it was all him; my only involvement was to mention that we were asked to pack a sketchbook. If that's not homeschool magic, I don't know what is.





I can't overstate the fascination these kids had with the pond life portion of our day.



Then, onto lunch, where we got to check out a half-taxidermied wood duck up close:





And watch as a butterfly was released into the wild.





Then on our afternoon trail tour, we saw some really neat, tall trees:





An ash (up there), and a hickory (down here):





And check out the bark on the hickory tree!





Here's Owen, wondering, who lives here?





Maybe this guy?



3 comments:

Amy said...

Great pictures! Cooper can't stop talking about his new friends!

EverythingIveGot said...

Oh yay!! Would it be ok if I lifted some of your pictures for my blog (my camera battery was dead :-( ) or linked to your blog??

The Stone Age Techie said...

If you know how, you can certainly link to my blog... in fact, maybe you could teach me, or show me where I can figure it out?
Yesterday was so much fun!
K
P.S.High Fidelity is one of my favorite movies, too!