Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Australian Movies

After successfully putting in our new bathroom floor and flushing toilet (wahoo!), Ben and I took a well-deserved rest and watched a movie, Danny Deckchair, with Miranda Otto whom I loved as Eowyn, my favorite character in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.



Danny Deckchair, about a guy who flies away, Wizard-of-Oz-like, from his life in Sydney, Australia, and ends up landing in a tiny, isolated town, was really good - a quirky romantic comedy that Ben initially watched while I was in Colorado, and got from Netflix again because he wanted me to see it, too.



It's up there with Muriel's Wedding and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, and is nearly as good as Proof, a movie which boasts Russell Crowe before he was Russell Crowe, and Hugo Weaving before he was Hugo Weaving. Also, it is one of the best movies ever made, both because of the acting and unusual, riveting plot. Proof had me alternately wetting my pants laughing so hard, and then pondering life and friendship - and then snorting my drink up my nose from laughing again.



How is it that Australians turn out these movies that, for all their differences, are somehow related, and fantastic? I don't know, but I'll take 'em.

No comments: